Chester Park is a residential area in Bristol, England, with an adjacent park commonly known as Barton Fields.
It is on the outskirts of the outer urban area of Fishponds, and adjacent to Mayfield Park, Speedwell, Kingswood, Hillfields and Lodge Causeway. To the south it is dominanted by the Lodge Hill skyline and the magnificent clock tower of Cossham Memorial Hospital.
The area of Chester Park was once covered by the Royal Forest of Kingswood. It was reduced in size in 1286 by Henry III and downgraded to a Royal Chase when large tracks were converted into common land.
The forest was progressively reduced and developed over the centuries, and by 1670 the western end of the chase was known as Thomas Chester's Liberty, whose family were great land owners in the area. The common rights were cancelled in 1781 by the Stapleton Enclosure Act, which led to the area to grow rapidly and saw the first settlement on Lodge Causeway in the area of modern day Chester Park.
In 1831 the area comprised only 10 houses cluster around Long Lane (now Forest Road) and Lodge Causeway. The area had been named Chester Park by the 1870s
Barton Fields, the park itself, is a gently sloping strip 500 yards long, and containing a children's play area and the pitches and pavilion of Barton Hill Old Boys Rugby Football Club.
The club was established in 1908 and moved to its present site on Duncombe Lane in 1978.
The park is popular with local children and dog walkers. Coombe Brook once ran through the park, and it still exists over the road in Coombe Brook Valley Nature Park. The Speedwell colliery opposite (underneath Brunel Academy), opened in the late 19th century and was served by the railway line still evidenced by the abutmentson Whitefield Road.
It was one of the last Bristol pits still working when it closed in 1932.
The Hollybrook Brick Company
The works on Barton Fields expanded from their modest beginnings to a large site stretching across the field. It was in these pits, during the summer months, that the clay was extracted Before the days of mechanised clay extraction equipment it was all dug by hand .
To read more about the works follow the link below.